Do you see no end in sight with your dieting. Are you feeling resigned to eating minuscule quantities of food so that you don’t gain back what you have lost? Or Have you given up and just polished off a tub of Ben & Jerry’s /Chocolate bar?
Losing weight can be a huge challenge and at times it will threaten to take over your life. Here are small things you can do to expedite your weight loss yet not lose your sanity:
1. Drink 1 – 1.5 glasses of water 10 minutes before starting your meal: Simple and super effective. Your body is perpetually dehydrated, so drinking water before a meal not only satiates that but also fills you up a little before you sit down for a meal.
Also, DO NOT drink water during your meal or 20 minutes after you are done eating. When you drink water along with food, you are diluting the gastric juices in your stomach reducing their ability to breakdown proteins and absorb vitamin B12 both of which take place in the stomach.
2. Snacks? Maybe more water?!: Sometimes we mistake our thirst for hunger and end up snacking when all our bodies really need is water. So when hunger pangs strike and you wander over to the fridge, grab that water bottle and drink up.
3. Love that cake? Eat it!: Yup, denial will only make you frustrated later. If you adore/ love/ drool over your favourite cake, go ahead and eat it. BUT really enjoy it. I mean sit down, turn off the TV, tune out of the conversation you are having and enjoy the cake as it melts in your mouth. You will find you don’t need to eat the entire thing. Keep it back and eat it later when that taste floats into your mouth.
Eating dessert 1-2 times a week is not going to sabotage your diet. Be forgiving and don’t let little roadblocks derail you completely. Also, mindful eating is very very powerful and you will find yourself easily resisting the power of cake. With time.
4. Say NO to all Fizzy drinks: that includes even ‘Diet’ or ‘Zero’. A lot of research has been done on this topic and there are cases arguing both ways – the detrimental effects vs no effects. But consider this – the artificial sweeteners used in these drinks are well Artificial! They are something that your body has not learnt to process and are most likely going to be pushed out of your system. Your detoxifying organ, the liver, gets overloaded processing these sweeteners and all the other chemicals from your fizzy drink. This compromises the liver’s metabolic functions which assists in a healthy digestive system.
On a side note, did you know that liver is one of those organs whose entire functions are even now not full understood. Even now! In ancient medicine, it was considered the main organ in the body even above the heart. Its one of those super organs no one talks about but that suffers the most in our toxic loaded environment. (Note to self: write an article on this and stop ranting here 🙂 ).
So yes, stay away from these chemical concoctions and let your liver concentrate on efficiently metabolising your food. And its other Magic /Secret functions.
5. Go cold turkey on Sugar: Only for a week. Stop eating all forms of sugar for a week and you will find your sugar cravings reduce. Also, your system will get more attuned to the effects of sugar. You will be able to experience the high and crash of sugar and its effect on your mood. When something effects you so dramatically, you will find it easier to say no to it.
Sugar robs your body of important minerals and guess where minerals are stored in your body? Your bones. People as young as 40 years have started complaining of arthritis – result of weak bones. When you are low in minerals you will find yourself easily catching a cold, having cold hands and feet, frequent headaches and severe PMS. Remove sugar from your diet and watch all these little irritants go out of your life. Your tissues and organs will be not be burdened by having to deal with sugar and will get to burning your energy reserves, aka your fat.
6. Eat healthy fats: Eating fat to lose weight might sound oxymoronic but eating walnuts, almonds and flax seeds will do you more good than any other food you will have the entire day.Fats give you a feeling of satiety which means you will not feel hungry all the time. Also, some of the nuts mentioned above are a powerhouse of vitamins and minerals and also antioxidants. Just be careful to not overdo it. Pouring olive oil over a salad can easily go from one tablespoon to two, so watch out how much you eat. They are calories after all.
7. Eat raw vegetables: Sneak in a serving of raw fruits and /or vegetables. They are very low in calories, filling and most importantly have very powerful enzymes that will help out your stressed digestive system. These enzymes get destroyed during cooking and so raw food is one of the key sources of live active enzymes. Sprouted seeds and grains are even richer in powerful enzymes and adding them to your salads will give you a new texture and taste.
By now you would have realised that losing weight is not just about calorie restriction or exercising but about changing your lifestyle.
Hope the small changes above help you stay your course and discover a new, fit, healthier and happier you.
Read the Week by Week Weight Loss articles to start your weight loss journey today.